COVID-19 Pandemic

Listen To Our Episodes On COVID-19 Pandemic

With India entering a critical phase in the fight against this pandemic, we are amplifying our coverage of this outbreak. Here is a list of episodes we have produced so far which looks at what COVID-19 is, what we know so far about it and India’s preparedness; how health inequities and access to health matter in times of pandemic; what social distancing potentially means for the poor of India.

Aug 31, 2020

Future of Labour Post COVID-19: Part 1
COVID-19 has accelerated automation of labour and has forced monitoring of workers and their bodies. This excessive collection of data of labour not only brings in the question of violations of their right to p...

22 mins

May 12, 2020

Tindering with Bumble & Hinge
With the COVID-19 lockdowns and the dearth of meeting people in real world, several people are exploring options for date online. While dating apps like tinder and bumble have been available for a while, there...

30 mins

Apr 30, 2020

Boots on the ground need of the hour, not more apps- Part 1
The Indian government launched Arogya Setu app, saying that it could be an effective solution to combat COVID-19.  Lately, the terms ‘contact tracing’ and ‘disease surveillance’ are being used widely. What exac...

33 mins

Apr 14, 2020

Aarogya Setu- Contact Tracing & Privacy
Cyber Democracy podcast was on a mid-season break. We are back now with some bonus episodes.  The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has seen unprecedented steps being taken by countries across the world. From stringen...

34 mins

Feb 26, 2022

Can gig work help generate sustainable jobs
Many semi skilled workers are taking up jobs with online companies such as Zomato, Ola, Uber among others. The gig economy has produced about 8 million jobs and is expected to triple to 24 million jobs in the n...

28 mins

Dec 20, 2021

The role health budget plays in India’s economy
The Union budget 2021 claimed a 137 percent increase in health and well being. However, the Union health budget still remains at about 0.34% of GDP – a slight increase from 0.31% last year’s budget estimate. T...

27 mins

Nov 08, 2021

How the government implement the right to work programmes
According to the latest data released by the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, the unemployment rate in the country has increased to 6.9%. In this scenario, most people fall back on the government to provid...

32 mins

Jul 19, 2021

Role of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)s in India’s Economy
In a developing country like India, MSMEs are the backbone of the economy. The MSME sector contributes to 45% of India’s Total Industrial Employment, 50% of India’s Total Exports and 95% of all industrial units...

27 mins

Jul 07, 2021

Decoding India’s GDP and Economic slowdown
The Indian economy is in the doldrums. The Indian economy was already in bad shape before the COVID-19 pandemic struck. In 2019, India’s Gross Domestic Product i.e. GDP growth was 4.18%, lowest in that decade....

36 mins

Aug 09, 2020

भारतीय शिक्षा और रोजगार क्षेत्र पर COVID-19 का प्रभाव (Impact of COVID-19 on Indian Education & Employment sector)
COVID-19 महामारी ने हमारे देश की अर्थव्यवस्था को बहुत नुकसान पहुँचाया हे और हमारी शिक्षा प्रणाली सहित लगभग हर क्षेत्र में काम करने के हमारे तरीके को बदल दिया हे।  इस बीच, भारत बंद के करना भी रोजगार क्षेत्र में...

30 mins